Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

For The Love Of Cross Stitch

Cross stitch is one of my hobbies.  I think the reason I love it so much is because of the memory of who taught me.  My late Aunt Phil taught me when I was about 13 or so.  She came home from a trip to the States with a couple little kits and lots of floss.
Since then, I have been doing it off and on.  I did a few items as gifts with lots of love.  As I got older, I realized that people appreciated the hard work, but it wasn't something that got displayed for a long time.  It felt a bit defeating that my hard work got put into a closet, etc.  Just let me stress again, I'm not saying it wasn't wanted, but it outgrew it's purpose.  I am the same way, I don't actually have any of my work displayed.  I have a drawer full and will likely never do anything with it.
About 5 years ago, I discovered a website that makes quilts for terminally/critically ill children using cross stitch squares.  This was the perfect plan for me.  I could stitch all I wanted, and then send the pieces off to help brighten a child's day.

http://lovequilts2macs.homestead.com/lqhomepage.html

I had to quit stitching when I was pregnant with my son in 2006.  A side effect to pregnancy can be Carpel Tunnel Syndrome and I of course had it.  I could barely hold the phone to talk without my hands going numb.  I honsetly put away all I was working on and haven't even looked at it until this year.  I needed something to do at night and had all the supplies around.   I started stitching again for Love Quilts.   I am just doing random squares I like and will send them in and they can use them on any quilt they need to.  It's fun and I am loving it.  I forgot how addicting it can be.

This is the first of many squares I hope to complete
My girlfriend Bonnie is quite the avid stitcher and even gets together with a bunch of women to stitch the day away.  I have looked at their work and think mine look so small and "childish", but then I remember, it doesn't matter, I love what I am doing. 

1 comment:

  1. not childish at all!! As long as you are stitching and loving it, that is all that matters. As for small, there are lots of people who prefer "smalls" to BAP (Big ass projects)... again - ALL UP TO YOU!!

    ReplyDelete