Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

A Walk On The Wild Side

So, anyone who knows me, knows I am no tiny little girl. My weight is something I have struggled with my entire life.

After the birth of my son, I decided I really had to do something. I was just getting too uncomfortable. The catch...I HATE EXERCISE!!! I cannot think of one form of exercise that I like, or could even remotely like.
Some wonderful friends of the family gave me a complementary gym membership, I got myself a personal trainer and did very well. I quite enjoyed myself surprisingly.

I got pregnant again, and this time, I felt HORRIBLE from day one. I stopped going to the gym. Between fatigue and nausea, I just couldn’t manage. That was the perfect excuse not to exercise. Each week I stepped on the scale and was up about 2 pounds each week. I was sure my baby was already about 25 pounds!

In the end, all my previous hard work went down the crapper. I got myself signed back up to the gym, but I just wasn’t feeling it! I think mostly because I didn’t get a trainer this time, so the social aspect was gone and I liked that a lot!

It almost always takes some big event to shake you up and for me, it was the passing of my grandfather 2 weeks ago. It wasn’t so much his passing, but the reminder that life is precious. If I keep this up, I am going to be in my grave sooner than later. How sad that would make everyone and I am not ready to leave my kids yet!

I tried running around downstairs in the playroom, but the room was too small and I quickly got dizzy, even doing a figure 8 pattern didn’t help!

So, Tuesday night, I dressed for a blizzard, took my Saint Bernard, Bristol and off we trekked around the neighbourhood. Keene is a great neighbourhood for walking and I do love walking on a mild winter night...something about the crunch of snow underfoot.

I did it again last night. I hooked up my trusty walking partner and pretended I was a monk in the Swiss Alps, travelling through vast mounds of snow with my rescue dog, looking for people trapped in avalanches turned on my MP3 player and made the trek again.

The route is about 2.3 km and my goal is to complete it twice in a night, but I’ll tell you right now, it will be a while before I can do that. I’m not sure who is pulling who home most nights, the dog or me.

So, keep pestering me about it and perhaps knowing that people are keeping track of me, I will work harder not to disappoint!

2 comments:

  1. Keep trying Amy - I know you can do it!! Bristol is probably a great workout partner (although he may enjoy it more than you!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I will definitely look for more posts on your progress!

    ReplyDelete