Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Let The Decorating Begin!

OK, so I mentioned in a previous post my desire to personalize my house and make it a home.  Now that Christmas is over and I don't have to spend extra cash flow on gifts, I am focusing on getting ready to paint.

Now see, we did paint when we moved in....we painted the kids rooms.  Much to our chagrin, the paint started peeling off in large chunks within days of painting.  This is what I figure happened...in an effort to make the house look fresh for resale, the previous idiots owners must have painted latex over oil, with no prep work first.

So, I knew we would have to do some major prep work before we just painted.  I phoned around, did some research online, but in the end, no matter how much I hoped all the info was wrong, the only way to do the job right is to scrap off all the paint, rough up the wall surface with sandpaper, prime and then paint.  So much for the bonuses to a large house.  In reality, we are looking at about 1000 square feet we need to prep like this.

Anyhoo, I tested a couple spots on the kitchen where paint was already starting to peel.  Easy peasy!  It came off like nothing!  I told my dear hubby that I would peel and sand.

Now, this is the part where I GUSH about how fabulous my husband is!  Honey, if you are reading this blog, stop now, I don't want your head to swell too much.  You are a fabulous, hard working man!

OK ladies, listen up.....this is a tip I learned from my momma, and boy does it work!  You asked your husband to hang that picture a few weeks ago and it has yet to be completed, this is what you do....go and do it yourself BUT bring in the wrong tools.  For example, come in with a hand saw and a screwdriver.  You then hold them up to your husband and say "this is what I need to hang that picture, right?"  I promise you, within minutes, he will be out of that chair, getting the proper tools, and will have the task completed! 
So, after my little bit of test peeling, I said to my wonderful husband (in case he did keep reading) "honey, this paint is going to come off real easy.  Heck, I could use a butter knife to do it!"  Next thing I know, he's in the kitchen, scraping paint.

I am hoping by next weekend, the walls will be scraped and sanded, and we will start by tackling the ceiling.  Soon after that...HELLO COLOUR!!

What would a blog be without photos!


Just the beginning
Daddy's helper...he loved to peel off the paint
Another little fart eager to help daddy!

1 comment:

  1. OMG! What a crazy thing! So glad that didn't happen to us! Good for you guys!

    ReplyDelete